From Sega Enterprises, Inc.
TM designates a trademark of Sega Enterprises, Inc.
Rules (c)1982 Parker Brothers, Beverly, MA 01915. Printed in U.S.A.
FOR ATARI & SEARS VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS
Home may look like it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away, but looks can
be deceiving. First, there's a dangerous highway to hop across, full
of fast-moving cars and trucks. Then there's a swirling river to
leap, full of frog-eating creatures. How's Frogger going to get home
safely? By letting you hop him on his way. Guide Frogger safely
through this perilous journey, and you'll jump for joy!
The object of
the game is to hop as many frogs to safety as you can - and to score the
most points along the way!
SETTING THE CONSOLE CONTROLS
1. To select a game number (see Game Selection Box), press down on the GAME SELECT switch. The game number will appear at the top of the screen.
2. Set the DIFFICULTY switch:
You'll lose Frogger if he's carried off-screen on a floating object.
Frogger can be carried safely off-screen on a floating object. He'll then reappear on the other side of the screen so you can continue play. However, Frogger can't hop off-screen.
In a one-player game, use the left DIFFICULTY switch. In a two-player game, the 1st player uses the left DIFFICULTY switch and the 2nd player uses the right DIFFICULTY switch.
3. Press down
the GAME RESET switch - and you're ready to start the action!
THE JOYSTICK CONTROLLERS
Make sure you plug the Joystick controllers firmly into the jacks at the back of your video system. Use the LEFT controller jack for one-player games.
Use the Joystick
to jump Frogger forward, backward, left and right. In games 1-4,
move the Joystick once in the direction you wish Frogger to jump. Frogger
will make one jump in that direction. You must do this each time you want
Frogger to make one jump. In games 5 and 6, Frogger becomes "Speedy" Frogger!
As long as you hold the Joystick in one direction, Speedy Frogger will
jump again and again in that direction.
shows the journey Frogger has to make - from
sidewalk to home bay:
the game with 5 frogs. The first frog is shown on the sidewalk below
the traffic. The remaining frogs are shown as white squares on the
lower left-hand corner of the screen.
You have only 30 seconds to move Frogger from the sidewalk and into a home bay, one of the blue, open-ended squares squares at the top of the screen.
Time is monitored by the time band, the black line located in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. When you have only 5 seconds left to get Frogger into a home bay, you'll hear a warning sound and see the line turn red.
If you run out
of time before you get Frogger home, you'll lose him. When this happens,
you'll hear a "splooch" sound and see a green "X" where Frogger was when
his time ran out.
FROM SIDEWALK TO RIVERBANK
Frogger starts his perilous journey on the sidewalk, facing 5 lanes of cars and trucks. When the music stops, you're ready to start Frogger hopping!
Try to get Frogger
through the lanes of traffic. Traffic travels in alternative directions
and at different speeds, so be careful! Frogger will get "splooched"
if he touches any part of a vehicle or is run over.
FROM RIVERBANK TO RIVER
Because Frogger can't swim in the river (the current is too strong), hop him from one row of logs, turtles, or alligators onto the next in order to cross it.
1. Logs: Frogger can hop from side to side on a log; he can also jump forward and backward onto another floating object. But he'll land in the river if he leaps to the left or right off a log.
2. Turtles: The red circles that float on the river are the turtles. Frogger is safe on their backs as well as in the water area between a set of them (2 or 3 turtles in a row). He can jump forward and backward from a turtle onto another floating object. But he'll land in the river if he jumps to the left or right off either of the end turtles.
3. Diving Turtles: These tricky turtles can float on the water and dive under the water! When they're red, it's safe for Frogger to jump on their backs. But once they turn light blue, watch out! That means they're getting ready to dive, so hop Frogger onto another floating object fast! If you're not quick enough, Frogger will get "splooshed."
But these turtles can't stay under water forever. When you see a set of light blue turtles suddenly appear on the screen, this means they're coming up for air. They'll soon be changing from light blue to red, so Frogger will be safe on their backs until they dive again.
While crossing the river, here are some other things to watch for:
1. Lady Frog: Occasionally you'll see a white "lady" frog hopping frantically along a log. If you hop Frogger onto the log to rescue her and take her home, you'll score bonus points. Just hop Frogger close enough to her so she'll jump onto his back. You'll hear a high-pitched sound when she does. Now, try to get Frogger - and the lady frog - home to safety.
Alligators: Alligators swim among the logs from time to time. You'll see them snapping their jaws open and closed, just waiting for a tender Frogger morsel to jump their way! Frogger is safe on an alligator's tail and back. But Frogger is a goner if he jumps into its jaws!
3. Floating Off-Screen: Frogger gets "splooched" in DIFFICULTY Position A if he's carried off-screen on a log, turtle, or alligator. This doesn't happen in DIFFICULTLY Position B.
4. Snakes: Snakes
will appear on the riverbank and logs as the game gets more difficult.
You can hop Frogger onto a snake's back, but he'll get "splooched" if he
hops too close to a snake's mouth!
FROM RIVER TO HOME BAY
Successfully hop Frogger into a home bay, and he's safe and sound! You'll score points each time you bring Frogger home, and get bonus points each time you bring 5 froggers home!
When leaping Frogger into its home bay, here are some things to watch for:
1. Jumping Home: Hop Frogger into a home bay when he's directly in front of it. If Frogger hits any part of the green shrubbery on the sides of the home bay, he'll land in the river.
2. Occupied Home Bay: Frogger can't jump into a home bay that's occupied by another frog.
3. Alligator's Head: If an alligator's head is showing in a home bay, it's not safe for Frogger to jump in. However, if the head is just beginning to surface, Frogger won't be harmed.
4. Fly: If you
hop Frogger into a home bay while a fly is showing, Frogger gets a free
meal - and you score extra points!
Each time you
bring 5 frogs home, you'll hear a short tune. Then the game will
continue at a more difficult level with your remaining frogs. The
traffic will be more difficult to cross. There will be fewer floating
objects on the river, and the speed of these floating objects will vary
fast to slow. Frogger-eating snakes will also appear on the riverbank
and, in progressively more difficult levels, on the logs.
END OF GAME
The game ends when no frogs are left.
To Play Again:
In a one-player game, press the red button on your Joystick to play again
at the same game number. In a two-player game, both players press
the red buttons at the same time to play again at the same game number.
To play at another game number, use the GAME SELECT switch.
Frogger has 6 game variations. Games 1, 3, and 5 are one-player games; 2, 4, and 6 are two-player games. See the Game Selection Box for game number variations.
Games 2, 4, and 6 are two-player games. The left player goes first;
players then alternate turns. Your turn ends when you lose a frog;
you begin your turn again with your remaining frogs. Each player's
score is displayed throughout his or her turn at the top of the screen.
The game ends once both players have lost all their frogs.
Your score is displayed at the top of the screen throughout the game. Points accumulate as follows:
jumping Frogger forward..1 point
Successfully jumping Frogger home.....5 points
Successfully jumping 5 frogs home...100 points
Taking a lady frog home..............20 points
Eating a fly.........................20 points
Extra points for time left............2 points per remaining second
Every time you
score 1,000 points and have fewer than 4 frogs left, you'll get another
Frogger! When this happens, you'll see another white square on the
lower left-hand corner of the screen.
GAME SELECTION BOX
When you select a game number, one of these symbols will appear in the home bays at the top of the screen.
___ ___ ___ ___
| |__| |__|OO|__| |__| |
indicates a one-player game
___ ___ ___ ___
| |__|OO|__| |__|OO|__| |
indicates a two-player game
two-player GAME LEVELS
1 2 Easiest
3 4 More Difficult
5 6 "Speedy" Frogger
The preceding information is provided by AtariGuide.com for reference use only. Use of this information is subject to all applicable copyright laws.